Zend Framework 1.6 has been released. I especially like how the home page of the website has evolved and is now very appealing.
The big new features are:
- Dojo Integration
- Preview of Tooling Project in Laboratory (see /laboratory folder)
- Unit Testing Harness for Controllers
- Lucene 2.3 Index File Format Support
- Zend_Session save handler for Database Tables
- Paginator Component
- Text/Figlet Support
- ReCaptcha Service
- Captcha Form Element
- Zend_Config_Xml Attribute Support
- Zend_File_Transfer Component
- File Upload Form Element
- Zend_Wildfire Component with FireBug Log Writer
- Media View Helpers (Flash, Quicktime, Object, and Page)
- Support in Zend_Translate for INI File Format
Andi Gutmans has written an article with the full details which is definitely worth a read. I’d like to also extend my thanks to the whole ZF team, both the Zenders and those in the community, for creating such a great framework.
In terms of the book, everything in it will work with version 1.6, but we do not cover most of the new functionality as it has arrived too late in the publishing cycle. This of course, does not affect what a great book Zend Framework in Action is!